Russia supports Iran`s peaceful N-programme: Putin
Beijing: Russia supports Iran`s right to peaceful use of nuclear energy and is in constant contact with Tehran on nuclear issues, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday.
"We have always supported the Iranian people`s right to modern technology, including the peaceful use of atomic energy," Putin told his Iranian counterpart Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Beijing.
Russia is aware of Tehran`s position, "which is that Iran is not working on the development of nuclear weapons", Putin said. "That is our assumption."
Western nations and Israel are seeking to persuade Iran to give up its uranium enrichment programme, which they suspect is aimed at producing nuclear weapons.
Iran says its nuclear programme is merely designed to generate energy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'