Russia supports use of Gaddafi`s assets as humanitarian aid
Moscow: Russia favours an idea which calls for defreezing assets of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi and using them as a humanitarian aid for the Libyan people, Russian Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
"UN resolutions 1970 and 1973 pronounce the determination to provide Libyan people with the frozen assets as soon as it will be possible," the Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexei Sazonov told a news briefing here.
Still, the Russian diplomat said, the green light for these actions should be given by the UN Security Council and the process of the assets use for humanitarian aid must be controlled by the UN Security Council`s Sanctions Committee.
Sazonov stressed that such humanitarian assistance to Libyan people should not be politically motivated or directed to only a part of the country`s population, for example, for the opposition- controlled territories.
"This is principally important that such financing would not be used for arms and arms-connected supplies to Libya," he said.
The Russian diplomat added that the state must use the assets through international organisations like UN High Commissioner for Refugees, World Food Programme, International Organisation for Migration and others.
The US Treasury Department earlier froze some USD 30 billion of assets owned by the Libyan government in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof