Russia test-fires new ballistic missile
Moscow: Russia carried out a successful test-launch of an RS-24 Yars intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Tuesday, a military official said.
The Russian Strategic Missile Forces unit conducted the test from the Plesetsk space centre, Xinhua quoted the forces` spokesman Igor Yegorov as saying.
The spokesman said the RS-24 Yars was equipped with a multiple warhead and the missile successfully hit the target.
This ICBM will form the core of Russian strategic ground-based missile forces, the official said.
There would be 15 more ICBMs put into service by the end of this year, the Russian Strategic Missile Forces unit announced last week.
Russia possesses about 400 ICBM launchers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing