Russia to boost Navy over US missile plans
Moscow: Russia`s Navy will strengthen its Baltic fleet in response to US plans to deploy Patriot missiles in Poland, Russia`s state RIA news agency reported on Thursday, citing an unnamed senior Navy official.
"The surface, underwater and aviation elements of the Baltic Fleet will be strengthened," RIA quoted the unidentified Russian navy official as saying.
A spokesman for the Russian Navy declined to comment.
Poland and the United States signed a deal in November that paves the way for the deployment of a US Patriot missile battery on the territory of NATO member Poland.
Poland, perturbed what it says is Russia`s more assertive foreign policy, has long complained that it hosts no US troops or major military installations despite sending troops to help in US-led missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened