Russia to boost Navy over US missile plans
Moscow: Russia`s Navy will strengthen its Baltic fleet in response to US plans to deploy Patriot missiles in Poland, Russia`s state RIA news agency reported on Thursday, citing an unnamed senior Navy official.
"The surface, underwater and aviation elements of the Baltic Fleet will be strengthened," RIA quoted the unidentified Russian navy official as saying.
A spokesman for the Russian Navy declined to comment.
Poland and the United States signed a deal in November that paves the way for the deployment of a US Patriot missile battery on the territory of NATO member Poland.
Poland, perturbed what it says is Russia`s more assertive foreign policy, has long complained that it hosts no US troops or major military installations despite sending troops to help in US-led missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed