Russia to build first nuke power plant in Belarus
Moscow: Russia and Belarus have signed a contract for constructing the first nuclear power plant in Belarus, media reports said.
Russia`s Atomstroyexport will build two nuclear reactors with a total power capacity of 2,400 megawatts near the town of Ostrovets in the western Belarussian region of Grodno, Xinhua quoted the reports as saying.
In March, Moscow and Minsk signed a preliminary inter-governmental agreement for cooperation in the construction of the first Belarussian nuclear power plant, which is worth $9.4 billion.
Local experts said the project envisages the construction of four independent safety systems, which will make the Ostrovets plant one of the safest in the world.
Several European countries, however, have protested against the project due to safety and environmental concerns.
The plant is scheduled to be put on service in 2017.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt should put evidence before court: Chidambaram on Karti
- SHOCKING: Milan metro suspended ahead of UEFA Champions League final match
- Monaco Grand Prix: Daniel Ricciardo secures maiden pole in Monte Carlo
- He has to forgive me someday: Arijit Singh on row with Salman Khan
- IPL 9 Video: This is how Kolkata Knight Riders thank supportive fans!