Russia to build first nuke power plant in Belarus
Moscow: Russia and Belarus have signed a contract for constructing the first nuclear power plant in Belarus, media reports said.
Russia`s Atomstroyexport will build two nuclear reactors with a total power capacity of 2,400 megawatts near the town of Ostrovets in the western Belarussian region of Grodno, Xinhua quoted the reports as saying.
In March, Moscow and Minsk signed a preliminary inter-governmental agreement for cooperation in the construction of the first Belarussian nuclear power plant, which is worth $9.4 billion.
Local experts said the project envisages the construction of four independent safety systems, which will make the Ostrovets plant one of the safest in the world.
Several European countries, however, have protested against the project due to safety and environmental concerns.
The plant is scheduled to be put on service in 2017.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi