Russia to build new security architecture in Asia-Pacific
Moscow: Russia on Thursday called for building
a new security architecture in Asia-Pacific Region based on
the principle of `indivisibility and equality`, saying that
India and China support the initiative.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was addressing
his annual news conference here. He was taking stock of
Moscow`s diplomatic activities in 2010. Lavrov said unlike
Europe, the Asian-Pacific Region (APR) lacks a universal forum
like Organisation of Security and Cooperation (OSCE).
"In September during President Dmitry Medvedev`s
Beijing visit, Russia and China took an initiative of security
dialogue in APR, based on the principle of indivisibility of
Our another strategic partner - India also supports
this, the joint Indo-Russian documents signed during President
Medvedev`s India visit in December, demonstrate this," Lavrov
He reminded that Russia is a member of APEC and a
dialogue partner with all the major regional organisations
including ASEAN and East Asia Summit, and underscored Moscow`s
intention to enhance security and stability in the region by
playing an active role in the economic and political life of
Lavrov noted the clear tendencies of the emergence of
a "new post-Cold War polycentric democratic world order" and
role of `network diplomacy` like G-8, G-20, RIC and BRIC.
"Some may deny or ignore it, but it is a reality," he
underscored. Lavrov lauded the role of track-2 diplomacy in
the Russia-India-China (RIC) format, which has brought the
scholars, experts and business of the three countries closer
in the resolving the issues of common interests, including
agriculture, healthcare and disaster mitigation.
He told that at the BRIC summit in China this year,
South Africa will also join the club of world fastest growing
economies comprising of Brazil, Russia, India and China.
"This will transform BRIC into BRICS," Lavrov said and
added: "We view it as an exceptionally important format of
direct contact between the leaders of the countries sharing a
common vision of a new world order."
The Russian Foreign Minister said the track-2
diplomacy will be a major component of the BRICS.
The group will also publish annual statistics reports.
He also underscored the role of Shanghai Cooperation
Organisation (SCO) in the regional security and stability.
Russia, China and four former Soviet Central Asian
republics are the founder members of the regional grouping,
while India, Pakistan, Iran and Mongolia are its observers.
Lavrov hinted that at its 10th Jubilee summit in
Kazakh capital Astana this summer gates could be opened for
new members. India, Pakistan and Iran have evinced their
interest in the full membership in the grouping.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in