Russia to build six submarines annually from 2013
Moscow: Russia will produce six submarines and one aircraft carrier annually starting 2013, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Thursday.
"By 2013, production capacity [at Russian shipyards] will allow us to build six submarines and an aircraft carrier every year," Rogozin told reporters, adding that the number includes both nuclear and diesel-powered submarines.
As a result, the production output will surpass that of the Soviet era when Russia built an average of five submarines annually, he said.
Rogozin earlier said the production had been bogged down in the past by a lack of financing, outdated equipment and a shortage of skilled labour.
Russia is planning to build eight Borey class strategic submarines and up to 10 Graney class attack subs by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Anushka Sharma slaps ‘Sultan’ Salman Khan?