Russia to build six submarines annually from 2013
Moscow: Russia will produce six submarines and one aircraft carrier annually starting 2013, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said on Thursday.
"By 2013, production capacity [at Russian shipyards] will allow us to build six submarines and an aircraft carrier every year," Rogozin told reporters, adding that the number includes both nuclear and diesel-powered submarines.
As a result, the production output will surpass that of the Soviet era when Russia built an average of five submarines annually, he said.
Rogozin earlier said the production had been bogged down in the past by a lack of financing, outdated equipment and a shortage of skilled labour.
Russia is planning to build eight Borey class strategic submarines and up to 10 Graney class attack subs by 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?