Russia to build two more nuclear-powered submarines in 2013
Moscow: Russia will build two more nuclear-powered strategic submarines of the Borei A class this year, the official Rossiyskaya Gazeta daily reported Monday.
The construction of the Alexander Suvorov is to start July 28 - Russia`s Navy Day, while another submarine, Mikhail Kutuzov, will be built in November.
Work on the two submarines have been underway since 2011.
One submarine of the same class, Knyaz Vladimir, has been under construction since July 2012, Xinhua said.
Russia plans to build eight submarines of that class until 2020 to form the core of its navy`s nuclear deterrence strategy.
They will replace the Project 941 (Typhoon by NATO classification) and Project 667 submarines. Three of them will be of Borei and five of Borei A type.
The Borei class submarines are capable of carrying 16 new multiple-warhead Bulava ballistic missiles, while the Borei A submarines can carry 20.
The first Borei-class submarine, Yury Dolgoruky, was put into active service Jan 10 in the Northern Fleet.
The second Borei submarine, Alexander Nevsky, is undergoing sea tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday