Russia to build two more nuclear-powered submarines in 2013
Moscow: Russia will build two more nuclear-powered strategic submarines of the Borei A class this year, the official Rossiyskaya Gazeta daily reported Monday.
The construction of the Alexander Suvorov is to start July 28 - Russia`s Navy Day, while another submarine, Mikhail Kutuzov, will be built in November.
Work on the two submarines have been underway since 2011.
One submarine of the same class, Knyaz Vladimir, has been under construction since July 2012, Xinhua said.
Russia plans to build eight submarines of that class until 2020 to form the core of its navy`s nuclear deterrence strategy.
They will replace the Project 941 (Typhoon by NATO classification) and Project 667 submarines. Three of them will be of Borei and five of Borei A type.
The Borei class submarines are capable of carrying 16 new multiple-warhead Bulava ballistic missiles, while the Borei A submarines can carry 20.
The first Borei-class submarine, Yury Dolgoruky, was put into active service Jan 10 in the Northern Fleet.
The second Borei submarine, Alexander Nevsky, is undergoing sea tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP
- DNA: Analysis of deaths at unmanned railway crossing in UP- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region
- DNA: Analysis of deployment of 100 Indian battle tanks in Ladakh border region- Part II
- DNA: Court acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching case
- Withdraw MPIC land pooling notification, demand YSRC, Left
- Sheena Bora murder case: Khanna wasn't present during crime, his alibi, lawyers say
- Dengue cases jump to 90 in Delhi, 40 cases last week
- UNBELIEVABLE! Cristiano Ronaldo to have an international airport named after him
- Islamic State group claims second German attack in a week