Russia to build two more nuclear-powered submarines in 2013
Moscow: Russia will build two more nuclear-powered strategic submarines of the Borei A class this year, the official Rossiyskaya Gazeta daily reported Monday.
The construction of the Alexander Suvorov is to start July 28 - Russia`s Navy Day, while another submarine, Mikhail Kutuzov, will be built in November.
Work on the two submarines have been underway since 2011.
One submarine of the same class, Knyaz Vladimir, has been under construction since July 2012, Xinhua said.
Russia plans to build eight submarines of that class until 2020 to form the core of its navy`s nuclear deterrence strategy.
They will replace the Project 941 (Typhoon by NATO classification) and Project 667 submarines. Three of them will be of Borei and five of Borei A type.
The Borei class submarines are capable of carrying 16 new multiple-warhead Bulava ballistic missiles, while the Borei A submarines can carry 20.
The first Borei-class submarine, Yury Dolgoruky, was put into active service Jan 10 in the Northern Fleet.
The second Borei submarine, Alexander Nevsky, is undergoing sea tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode
- SDM report holds Ryan school guilty of Divyansh's death