Russia to commence flight tests of FGFA
Moscow: Russia will soon flight-test the
fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), which is developed
along with India, a senior cabinet member said here today.
"In the end of December-beginning of January, we are not
making any New Year presents, but flight tests will start
shortly," Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said.
Under an agreement signed in October 2007, India has also
joined Russia in the project based on Sukhoi`s PAK FA project
and the two nations are in negotiations to finalise the
commercial contract for the deal.
At least three prototypes of FGFA have been made by the
KNAAPO aircraft plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur and several Indian
teams have visited the facility in the country`s Far East near
the Chinese border, sources told.
The FGFA is to compete with the US F-22 Raptor and F-35
Lightning II and the Russian Air Force plans to induct the
futuristic fighter from 2015.
According to the local media the FGFA is to be equipped
with the `artificial intellect`, advanced avionics and stealth
With several mid-air refuellings it could cruise for
hours at the supersonic speed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'