Russia to commence flight tests of FGFA
Moscow: Russia will soon flight-test the
fifth generation fighter aircraft (FGFA), which is developed
along with India, a senior cabinet member said here today.
"In the end of December-beginning of January, we are not
making any New Year presents, but flight tests will start
shortly," Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said.
Under an agreement signed in October 2007, India has also
joined Russia in the project based on Sukhoi`s PAK FA project
and the two nations are in negotiations to finalise the
commercial contract for the deal.
At least three prototypes of FGFA have been made by the
KNAAPO aircraft plant in Komsomolsk-on-Amur and several Indian
teams have visited the facility in the country`s Far East near
the Chinese border, sources told.
The FGFA is to compete with the US F-22 Raptor and F-35
Lightning II and the Russian Air Force plans to induct the
futuristic fighter from 2015.
According to the local media the FGFA is to be equipped
with the `artificial intellect`, advanced avionics and stealth
With several mid-air refuellings it could cruise for
hours at the supersonic speed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman