Russia to deliver ammunition worth $1 bn to India
Moscow: Russia will deliver ammunition, including tank and artillery shells, worth $1 billion to India, a media report said.
The Vedomosti daily found that one of the largest contracts in weapons trade for the last two years was a contract with India for the delivery of ammunition worth $1 billion dollars, reported ITAR-TASS news agency.
At the beginning of this year, Russia and India concluded a package of contracts to the tune of $1 billion dollars for the delivery of tanks and artillery shells, anti-tank missiles of various types and other ammunition for ground troops, a manager of an enterprise of the defence industry told the daily.
State-run Rosoboronexport Director General Anatoly Isaikin told the daily that in the beginning of the year they concluded new contracts for the delivery of weapons at the cost of about $5 billion.
A source noted that the contract with India is one of the largest export contracts.
Ruslan Pukhov, director of the Centre of Analysis of Strategies and Technologies, said the Indian army lacked several thousand anti-tank missiles of Russian types alone, and the available Indian capacities could not cover this deficit.
Along with Russia, India buys ammunition in European countries and Israel and concluded a massive contract for the supplies of anti-tank missiles at the cost of more than $1 billion with Israel last year, the expert said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees