Russia to deploy new ICBM in 2014
Moscow: Russia will deploy its newest medium-weight solid-fuel intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in 2014, a military source said.
Previously, Strategic Missile Forces (RSVN) commander Sergei Karakayev said Russia would deploy such a weapon only in 2015.
"According to the latest information, it will be accepted into service in 2014; the new weapon is part of a response program to the US ballistic missile defence programme," the source said, without naming the new system.
The Strategic Missile Forces test-fired a prototype of the new weapon in October from the Kapustin Yar test range, he said.
"This was a test launch as part of combined state trials," he said, adding the weapon will be formally accepted only after completion of those trials.
The new weapon will be primarily based on mobile launchers, he said.
"So far there has been no decision on whether to base them in silos," he added.
The missile will have intercontinental range, or more than 5,500 km, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical