Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine
Moscow: Russia`s newest ballistic missile submarine, Project 955 Borey class boat Yury Dolgoruky, will be handed over to the fleet in September.
"The formal signing of the handover of the Yury Dolgoruky to the defence ministry will take place in September," a source at the United Shipbuilding Corporation said Friday.
The boat has completed a range of sea trials including a firing of a Bulava ballistic missile in December 2011.
Its sister ship, the Alexander Nevsky, will carry out a further Bulava test launch in November "as part of its state trials".
The Borey class will become the mainstay of the Russian Navy`s strategic nuclear deterrent force, replacing older Project 667 (NATO Delta 4) boats. The class will consist of eight boats, all armed with Bulava missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?