Russia to launch new ballistic missile submarine
Moscow: Russia`s newest ballistic missile submarine, Project 955 Borey class boat Yury Dolgoruky, will be handed over to the fleet in September.
"The formal signing of the handover of the Yury Dolgoruky to the defence ministry will take place in September," a source at the United Shipbuilding Corporation said Friday.
The boat has completed a range of sea trials including a firing of a Bulava ballistic missile in December 2011.
Its sister ship, the Alexander Nevsky, will carry out a further Bulava test launch in November "as part of its state trials".
The Borey class will become the mainstay of the Russian Navy`s strategic nuclear deterrent force, replacing older Project 667 (NATO Delta 4) boats. The class will consist of eight boats, all armed with Bulava missiles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her