Russia to place improved antiaircraft missiles on combat duty
Moscow: Russia will Sunday place a
second regiment, operating the newest indigenous antiaircraft
missile system S-400 Triumph, on permanent combat alert in the
"Official functions dedicated to the transition of the
officers and men of Air Defense Regiment No. 210, which has
the S-400 Triumph missiles on its tables of equipment, to the
mode of permanent combat alert will be held near a monument to
the defenders of Moscow at the Peremilovsky Heights in Moscow
region`s Dmitrov district," Vladimir Drik, an official
spokesman for the Russian Air Force said.
A total of 64 officers and more than 30 men have taken
a special training to be able to maintain the new equipment.
The first regiment equipped with the S-400 system went
on permanent combat alert in the town of Elektrostal to the
east of Moscow in 2007.
The Defense Ministry plans to re-equip all the air
defense regiments for operating the S-400 missile complexes by
The system was designed to incapacitate the electronic
countermeasures aircraft, radar surveillance and guidance
planes, other types of aircraft, tactical and medium-range
ballistic missiles, hypersonic objects, and other prospective
air assault vehicles.
The S-400 Triumph system is also meant for destroying
the aircraft based on Stealth technologies, small-size cruise
missiles and combat blocks flying at a speed of up to 4.8
kilometres per second at distances of up to 400 kilometers.
One S-400 Triumph is capable of replacing three air
defense complexes of the S-300 family.
It exceeds the S-300 by a factor of two in terms of
target damage and velocity and by a factor of five in terms of
resistance to electronic countermeasures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?