Russia to relaunch railroad-based ICBM
Moscow: Russia will restart production of railway-based intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM), with prototypes to be deployed by 2020, a Russian defence industry official said Wednesday.
Work has already begun on the prototypes, which will utilise exclusively domestically-made components, the official said on condition of anonymity.
The new missiles will be half the weight of their decommissioned Soviet analogues, allowing them to fit into one railcar.
The Soviet military deployed its first missile train in 1987, and had 12 of them by 1991. But by 2005 they had all been destroyed under the START II arms reduction treaty with the US.
However, the treaty`s 2010 replacement, New START, does not prohibit the development of railway-based ICBMs.
The original railway-based system involved SS-24 Scalpel missiles that weighed 104 tonnes, required three locomotives to move, and were so heavy that they damaged railroad tracks.
It was thought that missiles launched from the moving trains were harder to track than stationary launches.
However, prominent Russian military expert Alexander Konovalov said that this apparent return to the cumbersome Soviet technology, even in revamped form, was a "bad idea".
The return to missile trains is an apparent response to US plans to position elements of its missile defence system in eastern Europe, said Konovalov, president of the Institute for Strategic Assessment, a Moscow-based private think-tank.
Russia has claimed the US missile shield will affect its launches, but Konovalov said that the threat is exaggerated. He added that the missile trains were outdated technology.
"We`re better off developing telecoms systems, unmanned drones and precision weapons, not these monsters," Konovalov said, referring to the missile trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'