Russia to spend over $180 mn on chemical defence
Moscow: Russia will spend 5.6 billion rubles (around $183 million) on improving defence against chemical and biological threats in 2013, an official said Tuesday.
Maj Gen Yevgeny Starkov, head of the Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Defense (NBCD) department, said the federal spending programme for a "National System of Chemical and Biological Security for Russia from 2009-2015" includes 1.76 billion rubles for scientific research and testing.
"Under the programme, we plan to fit out organisations involved in working with dangerous micro-organisms and highly toxic substances with modern equipment, modernise a range of potentially dangerous facilities, thus reducing the risk of an accident," he said.
Starkov had earlier said that it would be impossible to completely eradicate chemical weapons stockpiles from the arsenals of the world`s leading powers.
"This type of weaponry cannot be completely excluded from combat arsenals because analysis of... spending, both in the US and other Western countries, on the development of new combat agents, which fall under the provisions of the Convention, shows that this work is ongoing," Starkov told Rossiya 24 TV.
The Chemical Weapons Convention, in force since April 29, 1997, has been signed by 188 of 195 UN member states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray