`Russia to target US missile shield`
Moscow: President Dmitry Medvedev says Russia will aim its missiles at the US missile defense sites in Europe if Washington fails to address Russian concerns on its missile defense plans.
Medvedev said that Russia will deploy missiles in its westernmost Kaliningrad region and other areas if Russia and NATO fail to reach a deal on the US-led missile defense plans.
He also said in a televised statement Wednesday that Moscow may opt out of the New Start arms control deal with the United States and halt other arms control talks if the U.S. proceeds with its plans to deploy its missile shield in Europe.
Russia considers the US shield as a threat to its nuclear forces while the US, which wants its anti-missile shield ready by 2020, says that the shield is to ensure protection from the potential threat posed by missiles from countries like Iran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway