Russia tries to make sense of colonel murder
Moscow: The brazen killing of a Russian
army colonel who murdered a 18-year-old Chechen girl in 2000,
prompted on Saturday a bout of soul-searching, with some mourning
the Caucasus war veteran and others fearing fresh ethnic
Budanov, convicted of the murder of Elza Kungayeva,
was shot dead in broad daylight yesterday in central Moscow in
a contract-style killing.
Even after his death he remains such a polarising
figure that the Kremlin and Chechen strongman Ramzan Kadyrov,
who has called the colonel a schizophrenic and "the enemy of
the Chechen people," have remained conspicuously silent.
Supporters including army officers and football fans
have deposited heaps of flowers at the murder scene amid a
heavy police presence.
Former officer Mikhail Lebedev, who spent six months
on a tour of duty in Chechnya in 2003, defended the colonel as
a "true leader" who never betrayed his men.
"You have to understand that it was war. He acted
according to the laws of wartime."
Budanov was jailed for 10 years for Kungayeva`s murder
but freed on parole in 2009 after serving most of the
sentence, provoking angry protests by Chechens and Russian
He was the commander of a tank regiment deployed in
Chechnya after the start of the Kremlin`s second war against
separatists in 1999 and decorated with an Order of Courage,
one of the most coveted army honors.
Arrested in 2000 and stripped of the honour, he was
found guilty of kidnapping and murdering Kungayeva in 2003.
In a snap poll conducted by the popular Echo of Moscow
radio earlier in the day, 68 percent of respondents said
Budanov deserved sympathy, while another 32 percent said they
did not feel sorry for him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees