Russia urges quick missile defence deal with US
Moscow: A deal with Washington to assuage
Moscow`s concerns about US missile defence plans in Europe is
still possible, but time is running out, Russia`s foreign
minister said on Wednesday.
Sergey Lavrov reaffirmed that Moscow will take
retaliatory action if moves by Washington to deploy missile
shield components around Europe pose a threat to Russia.
The US says its planned missile shield is aimed at
deflecting potential missile threats from Iran, but Russia
fears that the missile shield will eventually grow powerful
enough to undermine Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
"Like any responsible state, we proceed not from
declarations, but from concrete action when it comes to
security issues," Lavrov said. "Our response will strictly
correspond to the potential of the European component of the
US missile defence as it develops."
Moscow agreed in 2010 to consider NATO`s proposal to
cooperate on the US-led missile shield, but the talks have run
into a deadlock over how the system should be operated. Russia
has insisted that it should be run jointly, which NATO has
In a televised address to the nation in November,
President Dmitry Medvedev threatened to deploy missiles to the
Kaliningrad region, bordering Poland and Lithuania, and to
other areas of Russia to be aimed at US missile defence sites,
if the US and NATO fail to reach a deal allaying Russian
He urged the US to provide firm and specific guarantees
that its future missile defence potential will not be directed
Lavrov said today that Russia doesn`t want confrontation
with the US and doesn`t think that Washington is making a
specific effort to erode Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
But he added that the growing power of the US missile
shield could eventually make it capable of engaging Russia`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster