Russia, US may intensify dialogue on anti-ballistic missiles
Belgrade: Russian Ambassador to NATO Dmitry Rogozin has said that an expert discussion on the problems of the anti-ballistic missile system has been scheduled to take place on May 19 in Brussels.
It is expected that this dialogue will sharply intensify, he said here yesterday.
The ambassador said he believes in delegating the scrutiny of various aspects of the collective anti-ballistic missile system to the military at the current stage in Russia-US format.
The Secretary General of the North-Atlantic pact, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, may take part in the discussion.
"The committee will anyway have a session at the ambassadorial level and I hope the Secretary General will hold a briefing as part of it to explain his statements that were addressed to Russia and concerned the setting up of a unified anti-ballistic missile system over the entire Euro-Atlantic sector," Rogozin said.
He added Russia would like to know Rasmussen`s broader vision of the situation.
"As for a deeper and more serious discussion at the level of experts, I think it`s crucial now to do an analysis of the missile threats and possible responses to them in the Russia-US format - at the level of the military rather than diplomats," Rogozin said.
"There is hope this kind of dialogue will be intensifies sharply now," he said.
"It`ll make sense to add the political and the diplomatic level to the discussions only after we realize the essence of the US doctrine of the ABM system and the stages it presupposes.”
"At this moment, the diplomats should move sideways and give room to the Russian and US military who could possibly understand each other," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal