Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin
Vladivostok: The Russian and the US navies began joint anti-terrorism exercises near the Mariana Islands on Thursday, a Russian Pacific Fleet spokesman said.
The Russian task force is led by the Varyag guided missile cruiser and also includes the Irkut tanker and a salvage tugboat.
"On Thursday, October 13, a Pacific Fleet task force completed its business visit to the Apra Harbor and along with the US Navy task force headed to high seas for the Pacific Eagle-2011 joint exercise," Captain 1st Rank Roman Martov said.
On Thursday, the US and Russian ships will train joint manoeuvring and exchange of light signals.
"Early on October 14, the active phase of the exercise will begin. It will include numerous scenarios, including an operation to liberate a vessel seized by terrorists," Martov said.
After the drills the Russian task force will pay a visit to Vancouver, Canada and return to Vladivostok in early December.
The Varyag is a Slava class missile cruiser, designed as a surface strike ship with some anti-air and anti-submarine warfare capability. The sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles are mounted in four pairs on either side of the superstructure, giving the ship a distinctive appearance.
NATO experts had dubbed Russian combat ships of this class "the killer of aircraft carriers", as they can launch 1,000 kg of high-explosives or a tactical nuclear warhead to a range of 300 miles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family