Russia, US naval anti-terror exercises begin
Vladivostok: The Russian and the US navies began joint anti-terrorism exercises near the Mariana Islands on Thursday, a Russian Pacific Fleet spokesman said.
The Russian task force is led by the Varyag guided missile cruiser and also includes the Irkut tanker and a salvage tugboat.
"On Thursday, October 13, a Pacific Fleet task force completed its business visit to the Apra Harbor and along with the US Navy task force headed to high seas for the Pacific Eagle-2011 joint exercise," Captain 1st Rank Roman Martov said.
On Thursday, the US and Russian ships will train joint manoeuvring and exchange of light signals.
"Early on October 14, the active phase of the exercise will begin. It will include numerous scenarios, including an operation to liberate a vessel seized by terrorists," Martov said.
After the drills the Russian task force will pay a visit to Vancouver, Canada and return to Vladivostok in early December.
The Varyag is a Slava class missile cruiser, designed as a surface strike ship with some anti-air and anti-submarine warfare capability. The sixteen SS-N-12 Sandbox nuclear-capable supersonic anti-ship missiles are mounted in four pairs on either side of the superstructure, giving the ship a distinctive appearance.
NATO experts had dubbed Russian combat ships of this class "the killer of aircraft carriers", as they can launch 1,000 kg of high-explosives or a tactical nuclear warhead to a range of 300 miles.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today