Russia warns against Syrian President`s ouster
Paris: Russia has said removal of President Bashar al-Assad from power will do nothing to end the 19-month old civil war in Syria but it will only escalate the violence.
"It is like daydreaming to speculate on the subject, to the effect that if the [Syrian] government is overthrown everything will fall into place," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Wednesday after meeting his French counterpart Laurent Fabius.
"If this is a priority for somebody, bloodshed will continue, and for quite a while, too...Assad`s fate should be decided by the Syrian people," he added.
Lavrov said there is no military solution to the Syrian conflict as mercenaries fighting on the side of the Syrian insurgents keep arriving in the country from neighbouring states.
Western powers have condemned Russia and China for their repeated refusal to back UN sanctions against Assad regime, which the UN has accused of complicity in the massacre of unarmed civilians.
Russian President Vladimir Putin vowed earlier this year not to allow a repeat of last year`s "Libya scenario”, which saw the ouster and murder of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi after a NATO military campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today