Russia warns Syria could descend into `bloody chaos`
London: Russia has warned that Syria could descend into ‘bloody chaos’ if a proposal from UN peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi to set up a transitional government in the country fails.
Brahimi, the international Syrian peace envoy, challenged all sides in the conflict to work together to pave the way for democratic elections and sideline President Bashar al-Assad.
His proposal received strong backing from Sergei Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister who said negotiations were the only way to end the fighting.
According to the Telegraph, Lavrov pointed out that the alternative to a peaceful solution is bloody chaos.
He said that ‘the longer it continues, the greater its scale, and the worse things get for all.’
According to the paper, Moscow has engaged in a flurry of diplomatic activity to promote power-sharing and its view that the conflict does not have a military solution.
Lavrov recently met with Faisal Mekdad, the Syrian deputy foreign minister and Assad`s cousin, to press Damascus to co-operate with Brahimi.
Western diplomats remain doubtful of the shift in Russia``s stance, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly