Russia warns US on Georgia support
Moscow: Russia has warned the US over the latter`s support to Georgia in its efforts to spread propaganda.
The US administration does not fully appreciate the consequences of its support for Georgia`s efforts to propagandise the "Russian occupation of Georgia", Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Alexander Lukashevich said on Wednesday.
"Highly-placed American representatives are once again making loud statements in support of [Georgian President] Mikheil Saakashvili, repeating word for word a lying thesis of his propaganda on the `Russian occupation of Georgia`," he said.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, on a visit to Georgia on Tuesday, reaffirmed Washington’s support for Georgia`s territorial integrity and urged Russia to commit to the August 2008 ceasefire agreement.
Fuelling Tbilisi`s "revanchist sentiments" in this way, "Washington does not wholly appreciate the measure of its liability," the spokesperson said on the Foreign Ministry website.
The US has not learned "the right lessons" from the August 2008 events, Lukashevich said.
Hillary co-chaired the US-Georgia Strategic Partnership Commission with Georgian Prime Minister Nika Gilauri.
The commission meeting was held as part of the Charter on Strategic Partnership signed between Georgia and the US in January 2009.
Russia had recognised two breakaway Georgian republics -- Abkhazia and South Ossetia -- as independent states following a five-day war with Georgia in August 2008.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'