Russia warns US on Georgia support
Moscow: Russia has warned the US over the latter`s support to Georgia in its efforts to spread propaganda.
The US administration does not fully appreciate the consequences of its support for Georgia`s efforts to propagandise the "Russian occupation of Georgia", Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Alexander Lukashevich said on Wednesday.
"Highly-placed American representatives are once again making loud statements in support of [Georgian President] Mikheil Saakashvili, repeating word for word a lying thesis of his propaganda on the `Russian occupation of Georgia`," he said.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, on a visit to Georgia on Tuesday, reaffirmed Washington’s support for Georgia`s territorial integrity and urged Russia to commit to the August 2008 ceasefire agreement.
Fuelling Tbilisi`s "revanchist sentiments" in this way, "Washington does not wholly appreciate the measure of its liability," the spokesperson said on the Foreign Ministry website.
The US has not learned "the right lessons" from the August 2008 events, Lukashevich said.
Hillary co-chaired the US-Georgia Strategic Partnership Commission with Georgian Prime Minister Nika Gilauri.
The commission meeting was held as part of the Charter on Strategic Partnership signed between Georgia and the US in January 2009.
Russia had recognised two breakaway Georgian republics -- Abkhazia and South Ossetia -- as independent states following a five-day war with Georgia in August 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon