Russia: Woman on trial for freezing baby to death
Moscow: A woman is to face trial in Russia on charges of leaving her newborn grandson to freeze to death.
Investigators found that the baby boy froze to death after he was left on a balcony by his grandmother, 37, when the temperature was -18 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 28 degrees Celsius) in Komi republic.
The incident happened in December 2009, but the body was only found in February 2012 by the woman`s partner in a refrigerator freezer. The man called the police and the woman was later detained.
"Fearing prosecution, the woman had kept the baby`s body in a bag in a freezer compartment for two years," investigators in Vorkuta, Russia`s northernmost town, said.
The woman accused her partner of killing the baby of her 16-year-old daughter. She hid the baby`s death from her daughter by saying she had had the child taken in by an orphanage, Komsomolskaya Pravda reported. The baby`s birth had been kept secret outside the family, so no one looked for it after it died.
A polygraph test proved that the grandmother was guilty of the baby`s death. She faces a possible life term in jail if found guilty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter