`Russian adoption bill to halt intra-country adoptions`
Washington: Expressing deep concern over a bill banning Americans from adopting Russian children, the Obama administration on Thursday warned that the legislation would halt intra-country adoptions between the US and Russia.
Russia`s Upper House of Parliament on Wednesday unanimously passed the bill and President Vladimir Putin on Thursday said he does not yet see any reason why he should not sign the bill.
"We have repeatedly made clear, both in private and in public, our deep concerns about the bill passed by the Russian Parliament, that if signed by President Putin, would halt intra-country adoptions between the United States and Russia," State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell said.
Noting that since 1992 American families have welcomed more than 60,000 Russian children into their homes, and it is misguided to link the fate of children to unrelated political considerations, Ventrell said that the welfare of children is simply too important to tie to the political aspects of US-Russia relationship.
"Additionally, we are deeply troubled by the provisions in the bill that would restrict the ability of Russian civil society organisations to work with American partners," he said.
"The decades of cooperation between Russian and American NGOs have been beneficial to both our countries and our citizens. We have also been clear that our interaction with Russian civil society has always been non-partisan and transparent," Ventrell said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi