Russian arms dealer`s partner convicted in US
New York: A US-Syrian citizen has been convicted of conspiring with Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout to purchase commercial aircraft in violation of American sanctions.
A federal jury in New York yesterday found Richard Ammar Chichakli guilty of one count of violating US sanctions, one count of money laundering conspiracy, one count of wire fraud conspiracy and six counts of wire fraud.
Chichakli, who was arrested in Australia in January and extradited to the United States in May, faces up to five years in prison on the sanctions count and a maximum of 20 years for each of the other eight counts. He is due to be sentenced on March 14.
Prosecutors say Bout and Chichakli sought to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act by illegally purchasing commercial planes for a company they controlled in the United States and ferrying those aircraft to Tajikistan.
Both men at the time had already been blacklisted by the US Treasury Department, and therefore individuals and businesses in the United States were barred from engaging in financial transactions with them.
Chichakli tried to avoid the sanctions against him by concealing his identity and the fact that he was blacklisted, as well as by covering up Bout`s role in the plane transactions.
As part of the scheme, Chichakli was said to have helped make more than USD 1.7 million in wire transfers from overseas bank accounts to accounts in the United States.
"As the evidence at trial established, Richard Chichakli conspired to violate international sanctions by working to purchase aircraft for and with Viktor Bout, formerly one of the world`s most notorious weapons traffickers," US Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
"But for the intervention of our law enforcement partners, Chichakli would have played a vital role in furthering Bout`s objectives."
"Merchant of death" arms smuggler Bout is serving a 25-year sentence for conspiring to sell a massive arsenal to anti-American guerrillas in Colombia.
His case has raised tensions in already frigid ties between the United States and Russia.
Accused of selling arms to despots and insurgency groups embroiled in some of the world`s bloodiest conflicts, he was the inspiration for the weapons smuggler played by Nicolas Cage in "Lord of War" (2005).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset