Russian Army bombs school by mistake
Moscow: A unit of the Russian Army by mistake fired mortar rounds at a school in southwest Dagestan region while aiming for insurgents hiding elsewhere in the area, officials said Friday.
The Investigative Committee said several rounds exploded in the premises of a boarding school in Buinaksk city Thursday, injuring no one but damaging the building.
The incident was initially blamed on military exercises, but the defence ministry later said none were being held in the region at the time.
An investigation showed that the army was hunting for Islamist rebels.
But the squad commander gave wrong directions to the mortar crew, which fired at the school instead of a militant hideout.
No militants were reported killed in the area Thursday, though the leader of the so-called "Kizlyar gang" was shot dead some 160 km to the north of the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Male hormones can turn back cell aging!
- DCW chief booked for naming Dalit rape victim, says not scared
- Delhi: Raped by 30-yr-old man, 4-yr-old girl undergoes surgery
- Strong need of creating awareness on organ donation: Experts
- Narendra Modi's silence on Dalit assault devaluation of PM's post: Congress