Russian billionaire to challenge Putin in election
Moscow: Mikhail Prokhorov, one of Russia`s
richest tycoons and New Jersey Nets basketball team owner,
says he will challenge Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in next
March`s presidential election.
While he was cautious not to cross Putin`s path in the
past, Prokhorov may pose a serious challenge to Putin, whose
authority has been dented by the December 4 parliamentary
election and massive protests against vote fraud.
Prokhorov said today that a decision to run for president
was "the most important decision" in his life.
Putin`s hand has been weakened by a significant drop of
support for his party in the parliamentary vote.
Opposition parties and election monitors say that even
that result was inflated because of fraud.
Tens of thousands Muskovites rallied Saturday to protest
vote-rigging and urge an end to Putin`s rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- 'Dishoom' team to begin promotions at India's centrepoint
- Cristiano steps up to the rescue of "Criticism Ronaldo" at Euro 2016
- Amjad Sabri laid to rest amid tears, thousands attend Karachi funeral
- Euro 2016: Wayne Rooney and Roy Hodgson seek more ruthless from England against Iceland
- Gunman, who opened fire at German cinema complex before being shot dead, acted alone