Russian billionaire to challenge Putin in election
Moscow: Mikhail Prokhorov, one of Russia`s
richest tycoons and New Jersey Nets basketball team owner,
says he will challenge Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in next
March`s presidential election.
While he was cautious not to cross Putin`s path in the
past, Prokhorov may pose a serious challenge to Putin, whose
authority has been dented by the December 4 parliamentary
election and massive protests against vote fraud.
Prokhorov said today that a decision to run for president
was "the most important decision" in his life.
Putin`s hand has been weakened by a significant drop of
support for his party in the parliamentary vote.
Opposition parties and election monitors say that even
that result was inflated because of fraud.
Tens of thousands Muskovites rallied Saturday to protest
vote-rigging and urge an end to Putin`s rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH