Russian child in stroller swept into sewage system
Moscow: Police in a provincial Russian city say an 18-month-old child was swept into the underground municipal sewage system when a sidewalk collapsed because of a ruptured pipe.
The mother, a 26-year-old policeman`s wife, was pushing the child in a stroller in the city of Bryansk when the ground caved in underneath them.
Police say the woman was rescued, but the child was swept away by the current into a collecting tank for the sewage system and was presumed dead.
Investigators say they are working to determine the cause of Sunday`s accident, but suspect faulty construction of the system may be to blame.
Underground pipes carrying hot water occasionally burst in Russia, causing the ground above them to suddenly collapse to the peril of those walking above.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?