Russian court fines NGO USD 10,000 under `foreign agent` law
Moscow: A Russian court on Thursday slapped a USD 10,000 fine on the election monitor Golos, in the first ruling against NGOs for purportedly violating new legislation forcing them to register as "foreign agents."
Golos (Voice), a Moscow-based organisation that monitors Russian elections for violations, was given the fine by Moscow`s Presnensky district court for failing to register as a "foreign agent" as required by new legislation.
The organisation denies the label applies to them and said it will appeal the ruling.
The Russian parliament last year passed a law obliging all NGOs who receive money from abroad and engage in political activity to register as foreign agents, in a move activists slammed as a throwback to Soviet times.
Russia`s justice ministry accused the NGO Golos (Voice) of receiving money from abroad and not declaring itself as a foreign agent in defiance of the legislation.
The group irritated the authorities by alleging wide-scale abuses in the 2011 parliamentary elections and 2012 presidential polls won by Vladimir Putin to give him a historic third term.
The claims of vote-rigging sparked the first mass protests of Putin`s domination of Russia.
But Golos insists it stopped receiving foreign funding after the law was adopted specifically not to have to declare itself as a foreign agent.
"We are convinced of our innocence," Golos said in a statement ahead of the hearing.
"This is the first court hearing bringing to responsibility an organisation that is purportedly a foreign agent. The fate of many other NGOs will depend on the decision," it added.
Russian activists have said the label "foreign agent" is derogatory and misleading in a country that routinely targeted people on suspicion of foreign espionage during much of the Soviet era.
The accusation is of administrative but not criminal responsibility, but lofty fines for the violation are up to to 500,000 rubles ($16,000) for NGOs and up to 300,000 rubles ($10,000) for NGO directors.
According to Russian media reports, the justice ministry`s case rests on cash Golos won as part of the Andrei Sakharov Freedom prize it was awarded by by Norwegian Helsinki Committee in 2012.
Golos insists it turned back the money to avoid being hit by the law. However the funds had already arrived in a transit account before it made this request.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!