Russian court releases Greenpeace ship doctor on bail: Group
Saint Petersburg: A court in Russia`s second city of Saint Petersburg on Monday released on bail one of the 30 Greenpeace crewmembers arrested for an Arctic protest, the first of the activists to be freed, the group said.
Yekaterina Zaspa, a Russian doctor with Greenpeace`s Arctic Sunrise icebreaker, was released on bail of two million rubles (USD 61,400, 45,500 euros), the group said, citing the ruling of Saint Petersburg`s Kalininsky court.
Earlier today, another Saint Petersburg court extended the pre-trial detention of Australian activist Colin Russell until February 24, meaning he could remain in jail until the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi end on February 23.
The two courts were scheduled to rule on the detention of several more activists and freelance journalists but some of the hearings were later postponed until later this week.
The 30 activists from 18 countries were put in pre-trial jail in September after Russian security forces seized their ship at gunpoint following an open-sea protest against Arctic oil drilling.
They were first charged with piracy, which carries a maximum sentence of 15 years, but the charges were later changed to hooliganism, which carries a sentence of up to seven years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Charleston church shooting case: US seeks death penalty for shooter Dylann Roof
- Irregularities in petition to oust Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes
- KSEEB 2nd (II) PUC Results 2016 Karnataka Board: Kseeb.kar.nic.in & karresults.nic.in for Class 12th XII, Second PUC Exam Results 2016 Karnataka Board, KSEEB to be declared shortly
- Devastated Ben Stokes undergoes surgery; Reece Topley ruled out for three months