Russian defence system downs Cruise missile in test
Moscow: Two missiles fired from a Pantsir-S short-range air defence system shot down a cruise missile during tests at a practice range in northern Russia Friday, the defence ministry said.
A real cruise missile was launched from a Tu-95MS Bear strategic bomber targeting a building 800 km away.
"The Pantsir-S hit the target with two missiles and prevented the destruction of the defended building," the ministry said in a statement.
"The live firing practice at the Pemboy range has confirmed high performance characteristics of the new air defense system," the statement said.
The system has previously only been tested against practice targets imitating cruise missiles.
Cruise missiles represent a difficult target as they are small, fast-moving, can fly at very low levels and often have a low infrared and radar signature.
The Pantsir-S, produced by Russia`s KBP, is a gun-missile system combining a wheeled vehicle mounting a fire-control radar and electro-optical sensor, two 30-mm cannons and up to 12 radio-command guided short-range missiles, and is designed to take on a variety of targets flying at low altitudes.
The Pantsir can engage targets up to 20 km by missiles and 4 km using cannons, KBP claims.
The defence ministry has so far ordered 100 Pantsir-S units for Russia`s Aerospace Defense Forces, which are expected to be delivered in the next few years.
The export version of the system, Pantsir-S1, has been sold to the United Arab Emirates, Syria and Algeria.
Under a recent $4.2-billion arms contract with Iraq, Moscow will supply Baghdad with 50 Pansir-S1 systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing