Russian ex-spy buys Britain`s Independent newspapers for £1
London: Russian tycoon Alexander Lebedev bought Britain`s struggling Independent and Independent on Sunday newspapers for a token sum on Thursday, a year after acquiring another top British title cheaply.
Lebedev, an ex KGB agent, paid GBP 1 for the papers, while its current owners will pay GBP 9.25 million in the next 10 months to his firm Independent Print Limited (IPL) for taking on future liabilities.
The sale highlights the problems faced by many British newspapers who, like titles around the world, are struggling to attract advertising revenue and keep circulation high in the digital age.
The two titles` previous owners, Dublin-based Independent News and Media (INM), announced the long-expected sale in a statement.
"I believe that the Lebedevs will be progressive and supportive owners of the Independent titles which have played such an important role in British public life for nearly 25 years," said INM`s group chief executive Gavin O`Reilly.
Lebedev, a wealthy Russian oligarch, bought London`s Evening Standard newspaper for a nominal GBP 1 in January last year in a deal which made him co-owner with his son
Evgeny. It became a free paper in October.
He has interests in banking and aviation and already co-owns, with ex-Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, a 49 percent holding in the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, which has been critical of the Kremlin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demand ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!