Russian fighter jet crashes, crew ejects safely
Moscow: Russia`s military says one of its fighter jets has crashed, but its crew of two bailed out safely.
The Defence Ministry said a Su-27 fighter jet went down Thursday during a regular training mission. It fell into a forest near the Besovets air base in Karelia near Lake Onega, about 700 kilometres northwest of Moscow.
The ministry said that both crewmen were picked up by a helicopter and remained in satisfactory condition. The air force has grounded its Su-27 fleet pending a crash probe.
The twin-engined Su-27 has been a mainstay of the Soviet and then Russian air force since it entered service in the 1980s. The Su-27 and its versions also have been widely exported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends