Russian forces ready for war: Army chief
Moscow: Russia`s armed forces are ready for a major war, chief of the military`s General Staff Colonel General Valery Gerasimov said Saturday.
"No one rules out the possibility of a major war, and it cannot be said that we are unprepared," Gerasimov said, speaking at an Academy of Military Sciences meeting.
His address covered key issues the Russian armed forces face today - including outsourcing.
Conceding that outsourcing was necessary to relieve soldiers of certain functions, Col.Gen. Gerasimov added that "outsourcing is only needed in peacetime and only at permanent bases".
He also stressed that these activities would be carried out by troops during combat or training.
President of the Academy of Military Sciences, army General Makhmut Gareev said that the Russian Army`s approach to outsourcing needed to be completely reviewed.
"We think that the outsourcing system needs to be given a root-and-branch review: laws should be passed covering combat scenarios, their transfer to a war footing, and their full subordination to unit commanders," Gareev explained.
He also warned that unless this was done, the logistics and technical support systems would collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened