Russian frigate built for India undergoes sea trials
Moscow: The Trikand, the last in a series of three frigates that Russia is building for India, has completed contractor sea trials and is preparing for state sea trials, an official said.
The frigate is being built at the Yantar Shipyard in Kaliningrad exclave, said Sergei Mikhailov, a spokesman for the shipyard.
He said the trials of the Trikand frigate in the Baltic Sea began Feb 5 and were completed March 14.
"Within this period, the vessel carried out five voyages in the Baltic Sea, each lasting several days," Mikhailov said.
The Trikand is currently at the Baltiisk port, preparing for state sea trials. It is scheduled to join the Indian Navy in the summer of 2013.
Russia and India signed a $1.6 billion contract on the construction of three modified Krivak III class (also known as Talwar class) guided missile frigates for India in 2006.
The first frigate, INS Teg, joined the Indian Navy April 27, 2012, and the second, The Tarkash, arrived in Mumbai Dec 30, 2012.
The frigates are each armed with eight BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles.
They are also equipped with a 100-mm gun, a Shtil surface-to-air missile system, two Kashtan air-defence gun/missile systems, two twin 533-mm torpedo launchers and an anti-submarine warfare (ASW) helicopter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened