Russian held selling World War II tank
Moscow: A rare World War II-era tank was spared from disappearing into a private collection in Russia`s Rostov region.
Ivan Boichenko, a former deputy district head, was talked into selling the tank by an unnamed businessman with a hobby of collecting military equipment, a court spokesperson said.
The entrepreneur had his eyes on a T-44 tank on display in the town of Belaya Kalitva.
Only about 1,800 machines of this model were produced between 1944 and 1947, which makes them a sought-after collectible, the spokesperson added.
Boichenko valued the tank at 7 million rubles ($230,000) and proposed to exchange it for a cheaper T-34 and 4.5 million rubles in cash that he intended to pocket.
But the businessman tipped off police who nabbed him during the money transfer. The latter pleaded guilty to fraud and abuse of authority, which allowed him to avoid jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?