Russian judiciary independent: Vladimir Putin
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin has rejected as baseless that the Russian judiciary is not independent and its judges are corrupt.
"I disagree with the statement that we lack a fully independent judicial system. On the contrary, it certainly exists in this country," the President said.
"I disagree with sweeping accusations that our judiciary and certain judges are corrupt."
Judges in Russia are immune from criminal persecution and investigations into possible abuses by judges, as well as any disciplinary action, are administered by the judicial system itself, Putin said.
"There was a time when many experts wondered whether we had gone too far, effectively exempting the judiciary from state and public control," he said.
He called for a public discussion on possible ways to improve the court system in Russia.
Western organisations and rights groups have repeatedly criticised Russia`s judiciary over its lack of independence and impartiality, and expressed concern over politically motivated trials.
In 2011, the European Parliament expressed its "concern over reports of politically motivated trials, unfair procedures and failures to investigate serious crimes such as killings and harassment".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'