Russian leader wants pot, prostitution made legal
Moscow: A lawmaker in a city government in Russia has called on Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to legalise prostitution and cannabis in his city in Russia`s Kaliningrad exclave to help boost tourism.
Valery Pryzhkov, a member of the government of the Baltic seaside resort of Svetlogorsk city, and a member of the ruling United Russia party, said the move would also help fight against HIV in the region.
There are about 4,000 people living with HIV in the exclave.
"We can use the successful European experience and set up an experimental platform in the region," Pryzhkov said in a letter to Putin, the newkaliningrad.ru web portal reported.
Russia has around five million drug users and has been one of the worst-affected countries by drugs trafficked from Central Asia.
President Dmitry Medvedev has called Afghan heroin a threat to Russia`s national security.
Pryzhkov also called for the transfer of Russia`s four specially-designated gambling zones -- now being built in the region -- to Svetlogorsk.
"The region is promising for the development of business tourism and cooperation between Russian and European businesses," Pryzhkov said.
However, similar initiatives in other Russian regions have ended in failure. There was even a reported attempt to start a red light district in Moscow in the 1990s but it was also unsuccessful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing