Russian military test-fires new missile
Moscow: Russia`s Navy successfully test-fired an advanced ballistic missile from a new-generation nuclear submarine on Tuesday following a string of failed tests that dimmed the deployment of Moscow`s most expensive post-Soviet military project.
The Bulava missile was launched from the Yuri Dolgoruky submarine in the White Sea that separates Russia from Scandinavia, Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Igor Konashenkov said. The missile`s warheads reached the Kura testing range on the Pacific Kamchatka Peninsula, some 5,500 kilometres (3,500 miles) away, he said.
The Bulava is a three-stage, hypersonic intercontinental missile with highly manoeuvrable warheads capable of dodging any potential missile defences. It is designed to have a range of 8,000 kilometres (5,000 miles) and carry six to ten individually targeted nuclear warheads.
Russia`s top brass described it as a future pillar of Russia`s nuclear arsenal as Soviet-built missiles are gradually retired. The Bulava program has consumed a large chunk of the Russian military budget without much success — only half of the previous 14 launches were pronounced successful.
Two of the 14 tests were launched from the Yuri Dolgoruky, a new Borei-class nuclear submarine specifically designed to carry up to 12 the Bulava missiles. The submarine`s construction started in 1996 and dragged on for years due to poor financing. Several other Borei-class nuclear submarines are under construction, and Russia plans to complete a total of eight subs by 2015.
Retired General Vladimir Dvorkin hailed Tuesday`s launch saying the missile could be deployed next year after four more successful tests. "The launch proves all the previous criticism of Bulava unjust," Dvorkin told the Interfax news agency.
The military said they plan five more launches of the Bulava this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened