Russian Navy conducts training exercises
Moscow: Over 3,500 Russian naval infantry and coastal forces from the Western and Central Military Districts participated in unscheduled tactical exercises Monday in the Russian Baltic enclave of Kaliningrad.
Captain Vladimir Matveev, spokesperson for Russia`s Baltic Fleet, confirmed the exercises, involving more than 450 military units, would prepare soldiers for "offensive and defensive combat in a context of enemy signal jamming, air strikes and artillery fire", Xinhua reported.
Matveev also stressed that the exercises were being conducted in a setting "as close as possible to that of actual combat", with deployment of live weaponry and the full range of available military vehicles and communications technology.
The military units will "hone their skills with standard weapons and military equipment and test their battlefield mobility," he added.
The large-scale exercises come as Russia intensifies its diplomatic and military involvement in the ongoing civil conflict in neighbouring Ukraine.
Western countries have threatened Russia with a range of economic and diplomatic sanctions including suspension from membership of the G8 bloc, if it continues with its current posture.
Russia, however, has defended its right to secure its own borders and to protect the predominantly Russian-speaking and ethnically Russian populations of eastern Ukraine and the Crimean Peninsula.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez