Russian Navy crew acquitted in Nerpa fire accident
Moscow: A Russian military court today acquitted two crew members of the Nerpa nuclear attack submarine in connection with a major fire incident on the vessel in 2008 when it was undergoing sea trial before being leased to India.
The Military Court of the Russian Pacific Fleet acquitted the two in connection with the incident in which 21 people, including 17 civilian shipyard workers, were suffocated to death on board the Akula II-class attack submarine.
Twenty one people were also injured in the incident. The submarine was undergoing sea trials in the Sea of Japan when its freon gas-based fire suppression system was accidentally triggered.
The boat`s captain, Dmitry Lavrentyev, was charged with abuse of authority and an engineer, Dmitry Grobov, was accused of causing death by negligence.
The jury unanimously cleared them of the charges last Friday, Ria Novosti reported today. "I would like to thank all, who supported us these days. This verdict proves once again that people care about the fate of two Russian sailors," Lavrentyev said after the court`s ruling.
Prosecutor Feliks Mamot said the prosecution will appeal the verdict in the course of the next ten days. The prosecution has the right to appeal the verdict before May 15.
The submarine was leased to the Indian Navy in 2011 and was formally commissioned into service as the INS Chakra II on April 4, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof