Russian Navy to get 10 diesel submarines by 2020
Moscow: The Russian Navy is planning to receive up to 10 diesel-electric submarines by 2020, a Navy spokesperson said.
"The Russian Navy expects to receive 8-10 diesel submarines by 2020," the official said on Monday.
The new submarines will strengthen primarily Russia`s Baltic and Back Sea fleets, he added.
Russia`s Admiralteiskie Verfi shipyard on Monday launched the construction of a Project 636.3 modernized Kilo-class submarine.
The Project 636 vessels, crewed by 52 submariners, have an underwater speed of 20 knots, a cruising range of 400 miles with the ability to patrol for 45 days. They are armed with 18 torpedoes and eight surface-to-air missiles.
The spokesperson said the improved Kilo class submarines will feature advanced "stealth" technology, extended combat range and ability to strike land, surface and underwater targets.
The Russian Navy currently has about 20 diesel-electric submarines deployed to protect Russia`s territorial waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic