Russian pilot dies of heart attack mid-flight
Moscow: A pilot of a UTair Boeing 757 flying from Bangkok to Novosibirsk in Russia`s Siberia region died as the plane was flying over China, officials said.
Sergei Golev, 44, sustained a heart attack in the cockpit and died despite all attempts at resuscitation, a local prosecutor`s office spokeswoman said.
Uralinform.ru reported that a cardiologist found among the passengers also failed to revive him.
The chief pilot attempted an emergency landing in the Chinese city of Chengdu, but abandoned it because Golev died before the jet touched down.
The incident took place Tuesday, but was not reported before.
Some media reports said the Boeing was bound for Moscow and executed an emergency landing in Novosibirsk, and that Golev, though a pilot, was flying as a passenger.
But a spokeswoman for the regional transportation prosecutors told Komsomolskaya Pravda newspaper that the plane was flying to Novosibirsk and that Golev was a crew member -- a reserve pilot tasked, ironically, with replacing a crew member in case they fall ill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out