Russian pilot missing in Darfur was beaten: UN
New York: The UN says a Russian pilot and three rebel commanders were beaten in Darfur when their UN helicopter landed in the wrong place in the volatile Sudanese region.
UN spokesman Martin Nesirky said on Wednesday the pilot and commanders "were beaten at the scene" when the helicopter landed in a mostly Arab tribal area of western Sudan.
Nesirky said the pilot remains "unaccounted for" and the UN was trying to determine who was responsible for the beating.
He said the crew and passengers, minus the pilot, were taken to a government military camp.
The UN-African Union peacekeeping helicopter was carrying three Liberty and Justice Movement commanders on their way to peace talks when it disappeared on Monday, Nesirky said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof