Russian police to undergo lie detector tests
Moscow: Police officers in Russia will now be checked on lie detectors and the refusal to be tested could spoil their future career, the Interior Ministry said.
"The polygraph testing is a voluntary thing, and the candidate has the right to refuse, but a refusal can raise questions from the members of the certifying committee and be an indirect reason of the refusal to be hired in the police force," said Lt Gen Yury Draguntsov, head of the ministry`s internal affairs division.
The polygraph test and certification of police officers is part of the ongoing ministry`s police reform that includes changing the name of law enforcers from "militia" to the internationally accepted word "police".
This would also include cutting the number of policemen by 20 percent, while increasing salaries for those who remain.
Draguntsov said every fifth police officer "could fail" the certification since the ministry has "defamatory information" concerning some of them.
"According to preliminary results, at least 15-20 percent of the police heads may fail the certification and be expelled from the police force," he said.
He said Russian police officers have committed over 50,000 delinquencies in their duties, including 2,000 crimes, since the start of the year.
Most of the crimes were linked with traffic police officers and migration police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- LinkedIn notifies massive data breach, millions of passwords may have been leaked
- Karan Johar is keen to watch THIS Bollywood release! Any guesses?
- 12 killed as violence mars Bangladesh local body polls
- Assault on Africans: Eight held, Home Minister Rajnath Singh asks police to ensure safety
- Must watch VIDEO: When James Vince, Joe Root teamed-up to take possibly the best slip catch in Test cricket history