Russian security capture notorious Caucasian warlord
Moscow: In a major success, the Russian
security forces have captured a notorious Caucasian warlord
who is said to be involved in a series of high-profile terror
attacks, including last year`s attempt to kill president of
Ingushetia, an internal republic of the Russian Federation.
The announcement of capturing Ali Taziyev, more famous
by his militant name "Magas" was made by FSB security chief
Alexander Bortnikov during a televised meeting with President
Dmitry Medvedev and later the state-run channels showed how he
was flown to Moscow by the masked FSB commandos.
Bortnikov said `Magas` is also linked to last year`s
attack on Ingush President Yunus-Bek Yevkurov.
Yevkurov was badly injured on June 22, 2009, when his
motorcade was rammed by a suicide bomber on a car packed with
"This bandit, together with (Shamil) Basayev,
organised an attack on Nazran in 2004, and after that he was
involved in the blowing-up of two passenger buses in the
Stavropol region," Bortnikov said.
In a telephone conversation with RIA Novosti, Yevkurov
called Taziyev a "mad dog" and demanded that he be sentenced
to life in prison.
"He was involved in the kidnapping of the relatives of
former Ingush President Zyazikov in 2009 and was behind the
explosions in the building of the Interior Ministry in Nazran,
which resulted in the deaths of dozens of police officers,"
The August 2009 truck bombing of the police
headquarters in Nazran was Ingushetia`s worst attack in
several years, with at least 24 people killed.
ITAR -TASS said charges of `armed rebellion` would be
brought against Magas and if convicted he faces a life-term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon