Russian security forces kill 8 suspected militants
Rostov-on-don: An official says eight suspected militants have been killed in a security raid in Russia`s restive North Caucasus region.
Oleg Morozov, a spokesman for the Russian Interior Ministry`s regional branch, said the rebels — six men and two women were holed up today in a house in Nalchik city in the province of Kabardino-Balkariya. He said they refused to surrender and were killed when security forces stormed the building.
An Islamic insurgency has spread across the North Caucasus region after two separatist wars in Chechnya, with shootings, bombings and police security raids occurring on regular basis.
The Interior Ministry`s branch in the province of Dagestan, east of Chechnya, said unidentified gunmen fired at a police checkpoint today there, wounding a police officer.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times