Russian ship with 30 crew `could sink`: Official
Moscow: A Russian emergency official says a cargo ship with a 30-strong crew has iced over and is stranded in the Sea of Okhotsk with the risk of sinking.
An emergency spokesman on Russia`s Far Eastern Sakhalin Island says the captain of the Smolninsky refrigerated cargo vessel sent a distress signal early today.
Spokesman Alexander Ivelsky says poor weather in the Sea of Okhotsk, which separates the Kamchatka peninsula and mainland Russia, prevents the air rescue of the all-Russian crew.
Ivelsky said strong winds threaten to topple the frozen freighter.
He says nearby ships have been instructed to set course for the Smolninsky.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed