Russian social networking site warned over anti-Islam film
Moscow: The St. Petersburg Prosecutor`s office Friday warned popular Russian social networking site VKontakte against the spread of an anti-Islamic film which has sparked riots across the Islamic world.
"The St. Petersburg Prosecutor`s Office has issued a warning about the liability for the violation of anti-extremism legislation," the watchdog said in a statement posted on its website.
VKontakte`s press secretary Vladislav Tsyplukhin said the network will remove the trailer to the film if a court finds it to be breaching the Russian legislation.
Prosecutors in several Russian regions have asked internet service providers to block access to the anti-Islam US film "Innocence of Muslims" with officials in the Siberian region of Omsk temporarily blocking access to the video sharing site YouTube where the film originally appeared.
Russian Communications Minister Nikolai Nikiforov has warned a nationwide ban may follow, under controversial new legislation due to take effect Nov. 1.
The US-produced amateur video, denigrating Prophet Muhammad, has sparked widespread protests across the Middle East and north Africa, some of which have turned violent.
US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stephens and three embassy staff were killed during an attack on the US consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi earlier this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city